Face to Face Volunteering
Face to Face Volunteer mentoring
Unemployed people referred to Ixion in all areas of London, Beds, Herts, Essex & Kent, who want to start up and sustain their own businesses.
Range of skills you have to offer someone may be:
- General running of all, or parts, of an organisation ... OR
- Business & Enterprise skills to guide them in completion of their business plan . .... OR
- Life skills: motivation and wellbeing support (e.g. drink or drugs abuse or mental health issues)
All of..... London, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Essex & Kent
What are we looking for?
We need volunteers who have experience in running their own business, business management or motivational skills or taking the lead in a small to medium enterprise. As a mentor, we're looking for the following skills to help our clients:
- Help your Mentee's with their business plans and/or sustain and grow their business
- Team-working and relationship-building
- Patience when dealing with clients and staff
- Flexibility navigating systems and working alongside staff and service-users
- Willingness to help people facing disadvantage work towards achievable goals
- Able to provide positive and appropriate support
There is no requirement to hold any specific qualifications - it's your experience we're after to help our clients and your willingness to help others achieve their goals.
Time commitment & Practical Considerations
Typically, you will
a/ You will Mentor a few unemployed people who have been referred by their local Job Centre Plus, to Ixion and who Ixion believe have a good chance to start and and grow their own business.
b/ Group workshops will take place in a local community venue and also the regular 121 mentoring sessions can take place at a location convenient to you and the client. You can also in addition offer extra support via phone or email too.
Clients are referred on a voluntary basis from within the local community, so a good knowledge of the local business landscape would also be beneficial and travel to local Job Centre Plus areas.
- The role will require a regular commitment (Minimum 4 hours a month)
- Typically up to approximately four hours per week, split between supporting an initial group workshop that all clients attend to explore what running your own business, or working for yourself means; and one-to-one face-to-face mentoring. You will add value to the support our staff will provide, who will help clients access what they need to get their idea off the ground.
Expenses & training:
We will provide initial training, on-going support from our staff and we cover you as a volunteer for reasonable travel expenses (up to £10 per day).
Will require references
Will require a criminal record check (DBS)
Job Role description
More info & to apply:
Call James on 07525 592272 to have a discussion and what next
Ixion is the Prime contractor for the New Enterprise Allowance scheme in the London area, Beds, Herts, Essex & Kent. To find out more about the New Enterprise Allowance Scheme and other companies who offer mentoring in a different area you can visit: www.gov.uk/new-enterprise-allowance
Who & what gets mentored?
Unemployed Start-up entrepreneurs.
Typically people who have been unemployed (some may be on Universal Credits and already started up their business and want help growing their business. These people sometimes lack in confidence and so part of your role will be to inspire and promote confidence. Areas of competence might include:
General advice and motivation support
Business research, planning and strategy
Sales and Marketing Strategy/ social media
Back office and administrative knowledge (Business Systems)
HR and legal knowledge
People for whom starting a business isn't an option and who are keen to get back into work still benefit from others advice and support. This requires less knowledge of business than supporting enterprise start up's and more emphasis on positive motivation. Areas you are likely to be familiar with include:
Mind-set: creating a positive outlook
Job Hunting techniques
CV writing and presentation skills
Information, advice and guidance
Being able to deal with people who have been long term unemployed and who may have unique barriers that they have to overcome.
This opportunity would be well suited to someone who is currently running their own business, working for themselves, or someone who has retired from doing this and would like to share their experience and skills. We’re also keen to hear from individuals with sound business management skills, or experience in a profession that is likely to help our clients on their enterprise journey, such as how to maximise the capabilities of your website, market a business or product, sales knowledge etc. If you’re passionate about helping others to reach their potential and be a success, we want to speak to you!