24+ Adult learner loans
Career progression starts here
Are you aged 24 or over and thinking about undergoing higher level education? You may qualify for a 24+ learning loan.
The loan is to help pay for tuition fees required by your college or training provider.
You can now apply for your loan and apply for a course at the same time via Ixion college.
24+ learning loans have been available since August 2013. The purpose of these loans is to help those over the age of 24 pay for their tuition fees for courses at levels 3 and 4. Typically candidates over the age of 24 are no longer eligible for funded training.
Levels 3 and 4 courses include: Level 3 and 4 courses include: Access to Higher Education and vocational diplomas, certificates and awards.
A 24+ loan pays for your course up front but you don’t start to pay until the April after you’ve completed your course and only if you are earning over £21,000 a year. Repayments are based upon how much you earn, making them manageable.
To qualify for a loan you must meet the following requirements:
- You must 24 years of age or older on the first day of your course.
- be living in the UK on the first day of your course
- have been living in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course
- be a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (this means there’s no restrictions on how long you can stay)
Money available from the loan
The value of your loan is dependent on the course you undertake and the fees charged by Ixion. You may choose to take out a loan to cover the full cost of your course or you may wish to pay some of the cost yourself and take out a loan to cover the balance of the cost. The minimum loan you may take out is £300.
Loan repayment guidelines
• Repayments start the April following the completion of your course.
• You pay back your loan (plus interest) when you finish your course and earn more than £21,000 a year. Your repayments will stop if your income drops below £21,000 a year.
• Your annual repayment amount will be 9% of any income you earn over £21,000.
Your repayments would be:
£7 a month - if you earned £22,000 a year
£30 a month - if you earned £25,000 a year
Use the repayment calculator: to get an estimate of how much you’ll have to pay back.
Interest rates guidelines
- Interest rates will be at the rate of inflation plus 3% whilst you’re studying your courses and up until the April after your course ends.
- Upon the completion of your studies and if you’re earning less than £21,000 your interest rate will only be at the current rate of inflation.
- However if you’re earning between £21,000 and £41,000 your interest rate will be the rate of inflation plus 3%.
PDF guides to 24+ learner loans.
Feeling confused and like you could do with some support? Visit our support for learners page.
If you would like to learn more in regards to 24+ loans.
Call: 0844 248 0515